| Yields 2 servings | Created by: Sarah M. Jackson, RDN
This easy to prepare, filling, yet light salad is filled with pre and probiotics that help maintain gut health. There are many versions of this crisp salad but mine utilizes creamy Greek yogurt to give the salad a tangy boost of probiotics. This recipe is definitely my go-to weekday lunch and I hope it will become yours too!
· 4-5 Persian seedless cucumbers (organic if available) cut into ¼” cubes
· 5-6 organic mixed mini bell peppers diced into 1”cubes
· ½ cup red or white onion finely chopped (pre-biotic)
· Amaranth or quinoa 1 cup cooked
· 2-3 TBSP cilantro, coarsely chopped
· 2 garlic gloves, chopped garlic (prebiotic)
· 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
· ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
· ¼ cup lemon, juiced and zested
· 1 Tsp salt and pepper (or to taste)
· 3 TBSP Greek yogurt (probiotic)
Pair with protein of choice (grilled prawns, grilled chicken, tofu, seitan) to increase protein content and improve "fullness factor".
1. Cook ancient grain as directed. Once cooked, set aside and cool.
2. While quinoa/amaranth is cooling, prepare the dressing.
3. In a small bowl combine yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
4. Mix together cucumbers, bell peppers and chopped cilantro. Add to cooled quinoa.
5. Drizzle with desired amount of Greek yogurt dressing.
Enjoy! Make sure to post your comments below.